Thursday, August 27, 2015

New Game Demo!

And behold, here's the new game demo that I am currently working on while working on the Magikiras beta testing at the same time. Current title is Carebanet Girls and yes, your character is in fact a girl during to story and thematic reasons which the player will find out after a short while into the game.

As it is right now, it's relative short, clocking in at 11 to 12k words during these two opening Chapters which will be a short introduction to the world and the main characters involved in this game. Current goal is to test out a slightly more random gaming style ala the old gamebooks of yesteryear where you roll dice to determine the outcome of a situation. Some people will like it, some won't obviously but we don't get anywhere by not trying new things won't we?

So here's the link to this game demo which will be released here first.

Carebanet Girls

Update August 30 2015
Uploaded the first half of Chapter 3 complete with the first version of the combat system. Might be a little complex and/or complicated though. Should I put in a tutorial?

Update August 31 2015
Minor update in which I've added the choice of what kind of clothes you're wearing and what color they are. Also I checked on the game's choices and noticed that you are able to achieve a particular stat level within the game. You may now enjoy the power of courage, the magic of friendship, the endurance of hope or IMAGINATION!
One last update for today: I've added one more option for the combat system so that every skill can be used in a fight. Cheers.

Update September 7 2015
Got past the writing block and finished Chapter 3 today. Will take a break first before working on my layout for Chapter 4.

Update September 21 2015
And just updated the game with Chapter 4 today. Nothing big except that the romance scenes have now been started on.

Update October 2 2015
And updated today with Chapter 5. A new boss fight and my brain is still reeling from a marathon watch of the entire Symphogear series. Need to rest my brain for a bit before I get to work on adding new things for Magikiras.

Update October 12 2015
Chapter 6 is now online and with this, approximately 50% of the game is done.

Update November 5 2015
Chapter 7 is finally done at this point after some delays, mostly due to writing a new ending for Magikiras and some RL issues that cropped up recently.

Update November 18 2015
Chapter 8 is now online and there is now some Nana and Jaime (properly renamed at this point) bits in this chapter after two parts without them.

Note November 30 2015
Requested for the CoG forum for this game to be closed since it doesn't seem to be serving its purpose of getting some feedback and ideas from the crowd. Will still continue working on this game of course since I'm actually relatively close to the finish line with this (currently working on Chapter 9 and should be able finish the planned 13 chapters of this game).

Update December 11 2015
Probably the last update of the year but Chapter 9 is now done. This is now the final stretch of the game with four more Chapters left to go.

Update January 11 2015
And now Chapter 10 is done. Game has been appropriately updated for this new chapter. Now, there should just be three Chapters left to go until the game is finished.

Update January 26 2016
Chapter 11 has now been uploaded. Looks like I'm back on track with my writing progress. Two Chapters left to go with the next one being the battle against the final Being. After that is the ending Chapter so...yay?

Update February 16 2016
And now, three weeks after Chapter 11 is done, I give you Chapter 12. The final fight is now done and over with and now it's time to work on the endings. Hopefully, there won't be any further changes to the startup variables after this. Anyways, I've also added a passcode system that is supposed to give you extra stats from the start of the game and which will only be given at the end of the game.

Update March 10 2016
After long last, I've finished Chapter 13. There's a total of twenty endings (not including ending variations) in this chapter and most of them are pretty short (about 1k words sadly but I dare not write too much or else the endings will all be pretty long. Guess it's now time for the full testing treatment.

Update April 3 2016
1) Reduced game's difficulty. Enemies do less damage, receive more damage and have less health than before (about 50% less). For the truly masochistic, a Hard mode has been added to the game which restores the enemy's health and gives them a special attack.

2) Added a critical hit function where you inflict more damage if you beat the target number by a certain amount. The bonus damage is increased if you use a support action to pull this off. As of right now, there's no visual indication or changed text to show the crit though.

3) Standard typo fixes and such but I'm certain there's still more.

Next on the list is adding a new chapter for a little more character interaction and to spread things out between Chapter 3 and Chapter 5.

Update April 16 2016
Finished the new chapter so that there is a longer break between the Wand and the Pentacle class. Also fixed a bug in the hard mode fights that was pointed out.

From this point onwards, I will only be working on bugs and errors in Carebanet Girls by the way. I've got an idea that I should probably be working on right now.

8 comments:

  1. this game i super cool, i really liked the story, i wish you good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this game, I've always liked magical girls anime! When you updated chapter 7 think won't work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean the link won't work...

      Delete
    2. Seems to be working fine for me. Give it a try again?

      Delete
  3. I wish you well in your endeavor to finish the story. It is a fun game, and I've been keeping an eye on it since it was first posted, but I never comment on the forums. It's unique and has replay value even if it isn't completed at this time. I've mainly been going with the support/range/magic route, being the altruistic-everyone-is-a-potential-friend-optimistic-to-a-fault-idol-dreamer-girl-next-door kind of character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I found you through the COG forums, and I had a question about the final fight-- so serious spoilers here --


    in one of my playthroughs (I've played through several times and so far only noticed mild typos that I'd be glad to send you way; no high-level errors), I got the option to use one of my saved souls as a form of armor, which allowed me to do a super-finishing-attack with Nana and Helen...

    however, on ALL subsequent playthroughs, no matter how similar or different my stats were, I was unable to achieve that same outcome. Is this something to do with a SUPER lucky roll or am I just missing something?

    All in all, this is a fantastic game, and I plan to buy it as soon as it comes out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Carebanet Girls uses a randomizer to determine the outcome of a check. Your skill has two values, a numerical one and die number. The game will make a die roll base on your die size and add the numerical value to the die roll before comparing it to a difficulty number.

      That being said, the public demo is considerably harder compared to the current beta test anyways so there is that for the final fight at least.

      Delete
  5. The link won't open up for me. Is there an updated link anywhere?

    ReplyDelete